Sunday, September 4, 2016

About phrasal verbs

I have noticed that I used only two phrasal verbs in my previous posts. The most difficult thing in English is pronunciation for me. The second difficult thing to learn in English are phrasal verbs. They are so many. And they have too many similar and different meanings. It confuses me. Lol!

I am used to download movies in English with subtitles. I am always writing down the words that I don't know their meanings. And I had learned a lot of new words in this way. 

But I always left out phrasal verbs. But recently I started learning phrasal verbs. When I was watching "The Americans" I wrote down some phrasal verbs. And I tried to learn meaning of the verbs. Sometimes I try to practice these new words with my son who is fluent in English. 

Two days ago I learned phrasal verb "Hook up with somebody." The meaning was: "To meet somebody and spend time with them." (Oxford dictionary older edition) 

Coincidentally, my son wanted to go out with his friends that evening. So I wanted to practice this verb with him and I asked him "Do you want to hook up with your friends tonight?" He looked at me surprisingly and asked me "What?" I repeated my question and started explaining what the meaning of this phrasal verb is. He had laughed a lot and explained me that the slang meaning of the phrasal verb is: "To have sex with someone." 😊 

Hahahaha, and he told me that I had better not use this word. Hehehe! 

So, let's s hook up with somebody!! It means: to meet somebody and spend time with them or start working with somebody or have a sex with somebody. All of them sound good!




2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha that's really funny. You know that's why I feel English is a funny language and very weak in expressions. When I compare with my country's national language, Hindi, with English I find Hindi is far more powerful, expressive and appropriate to convey one's thoughts. In English-speaking one cannot be sure what other will understand unless they belong to same humour fraternity, where as Hindi is very universal, and able to convey exact meaning one want to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha that's really funny. You know that's why I feel English is a funny language and very weak in expressions. When I compare with my country's national language, Hindi, with English I find Hindi is far more powerful, expressive and appropriate to convey one's thoughts. In English-speaking one cannot be sure what other will understand unless they belong to same humour fraternity, where as Hindi is very universal, and able to convey exact meaning one want to convey.

    ReplyDelete